Special Services

The Special Services Department provides quality, specially designed instruction to students who require special education, are age 3 through 22, and have not yet received a regular high school diploma. 

The Hudson School District has a legal responsibility under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to locate and identify all children who may have an educational disability within the geographic boundaries of Hudson, NH. Any person may refer for evaluation of a child between the ages of 2.5 and 22. A student requires an IEP (individualized education plan) when he or she presents with one or more of 14 areas of disability recognized by the State of New Hampshire, with adverse educational impact, and a resulting need for Specially Designed Instruction.

To discuss a referral with a representative of the school, please contact your child's teacher, school counselor or the Special Services office. Parent(s) of students in grades K-12 who attend private schools outside the geographical boundaries of Hudson are encouraged to contact the district in which the private school is located in order to make a referral for evaluation. For children who attend the Presentation of Mary Academy, please contact the principal or assistant at PMA to initiate a referral.

For further information please feel free to review the following documents:

HSD Special Education Procedures Manual

NH Special Education Procedural Safeguards

Some students with disabilities require accommodations under section 504. Under this provision, an individual with a disability is a person who: 

has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; has a record of such an impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment.

The question of whether a student requires an accommodation plan under section 504 is determined on a case-by-case basis in the context of a 504 team. 504 processes are managed through your child's school counseling office.  If you have concerns with your child's 504 plan, please contact the assigned school counselor.  Further concerns can be brought to the attention of the Director of School Counseling.  While every effort should be made to resolve concerns at the school level, the district has also developed Section 504 Grievance Procedures to be consulted in the rare instances when those efforts are not successful.

The Special Services Department also oversees implementation of the provisions prescribed under the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act. This act is federal legislation supporting educational stability for children who are experiencing homelessness. 

If you suspect that your child may be in need of any of these services, please reach out to your child’s teacher, school counselor or the Special Services office at his or her school.