Working Papers

Employment of Minors in the State of New Hampshire

When is the NH Youth Employment Certificate, also known as "Working Papers," required?

The Youth Employment Certificate is required for any youth 12 to 15 years old and must be on file at the employer's place of business within 3 business days of the first day of employment. (RSA 276-A:4).

When is a Parental Permission Form required?

Employers are required to have on file at the work place, at the time employment begins, written permission by the parent or guardian of a 16 or 17 year old permitting the youth's employment. (RSA 276-A:4).

How do youths 12-15 years old get a New Hampshire Youth Employment Certificate?

First they find a job. Then the employer completes a form called an Employer's Request for Child Labor and gives it to them. The youth takes that form to their local school or school superintendent's office, or to their parent, to obtain a signed certificate  (RSA 276-A:5), after the determination of a satisfactory level of academic performance by the student. The youth takes the certificate back to the employer.

Youth Employment Certificate Form and Information

If you are going to be working in Massachusetts, you can obtain your working papers at:

Tyngsboro High School, 36 Norris Road, Tyngsboro MA.

It would be in your best interest to call ahead, (978) 649-7571, for the office hours and to find out what papers you will need in Massachusetts.

**Students of Alvirne can see the School Counseling office for a Student in Good Standing form, if it is required in the state you will be working in.