Good Digital Citizenship
Hudson Memorial School
The Hudson School District provides a wide range of technology resources for student use. These technology resources are to be used only for educational purposes. This agreement outlines appropriate use and prohibited activities when using all technology resources and electronic devices as defined by school administrators. Every student is expected to follow all the rules and conditions listed, as well as those given verbally by teachers and administrators, and to demonstrate good citizenship and ethical behavior at all times.
The school district uses a filtering system to track and monitor all computer and Internet use on the network. The system is designed to prevent access to educationally inappropriate sites. It is important to understand that no filtering system is perfect. Due to the nature of the Internet and evolving technology, even with supervision, we cannot guarantee that students will not reach an inappropriate site. It is the student’s responsibility to report any inappropriate site to the teacher.
Below are examples, but not an exhaustive list, of online conduct that may constitute a violation of federal and/or state criminal laws relating to cybercrimes:
Criminal Acts: These include, but are not limited to “hacking” or attempting to access computer systems without authorization, threatening/harassing email, cyber-stalking, child pornography, vandalism, unauthorized tampering with computer systems, using misleading domain names or using another person’s identity and/or identity fraud.
Libel Laws: Publicly defaming people through publishing material on the Internet, email, social media and other applications.
Copyright Violations: Copying, selling or distributing copyrighted material without the express written permission of the author or publisher (users should assume that all materials available on the Internet are protected by copyright) and engaging in plagiarism (using other's words or ideas as your own).
Acceptable Use of School Networks, Including the Internet
By signing the Good Digital Citizenship Agreement, students and parents/guardians acknowledge the following rules and conditions.
As a Hudson School District student:
- I understand that the use of the school network and email is a privilege, not a right.
- I understand that my school network and email accounts are owned by the school district and are not private.
- The Hudson School District has the right to access my information at any time.
- I understand that school administrators will deem what conduct is inappropriate use if such conduct is not specified in this agreement.
- I will use technology in a manner that complies with laws of the United States and the State of New Hampshire.
- I understand that I am to notify an adult immediately if I encounter material that violates appropriate use.
Student responsible use:
- I am responsible for my computer account and email account.
- I understand that passwords are private and that I should not share my password with anyone, including my friends.
- I understand that I am responsible for all activities done through my account.
- I will not allow others to use my account name and password or try to use that of others.
- I understand that I will be in violation of the law if I attempt to electronically capture another person’s password.
- I understand that it is important to log off the computer at the end of every session, so another user cannot use my password.
- I am responsible for my language.
- I will use appropriate language in my email messages, online postings and digital communications with others.
- I will not use profanity, vulgarities or any other inappropriate language as determined by school administrators.
- I am responsible for how I treat other people.
- I will use email and other means of communications (blogs, wikis, chat, instant messaging, discussion boards, etc.) responsibly.
- I will not send or post hateful or harassing mail or videos, make discriminatory or derogatory remarks about others or engage in bullying, harassment, or other antisocial behaviors.
- I am responsible for my use of the school network.
- I will use computer resources responsibly.
- I will not search, retrieve, save, circulate or display hate-based, offensive or sexually explicit material.
- I will not search, retrieve, save or circulate images or information about weapons using any Hudson School District computer resources unless authorized by school administrator/teacher as part of a school assignment.
- I understand the use of the school network for illegal or commercial activities is prohibited.
- I am responsible for my conduct on all online sites.
- I understand that what I do on social media, websites or apps should not negatively impact the school learning environment and/or my fellow students, teachers and administrators.
- I am responsible to be honest while I am online.
- I understand that impersonating, spoofing or pretending to be someone else is forbidden.
- This includes, but is not limited to, sending out email, creating accounts or posting messages or other online content (e.g. text, images, audio or video) in someone else's name.
- I am responsible for protecting the security of the schools’ network.
- I will not attempt to bypass security settings or Internet filters or interfere with the operation of the network by installing illegal software including file sharing, shareware or freeware on school computers.
- I am responsible for protecting school property.
- I understand that vandalism is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to accessing, modifying, or destroying equipment, programs, files, or settings on any computer or technology resources.
- I am responsible for respecting other people’s property online.
- I will obey copyright laws.
- I will not plagiarize or use other’s work without proper citation and permission.
- I will not illegally download materials protected by copyright including, but not limited to, music and movies.
- I am responsible for following school rules whenever I publish anything online.
- I will follow all guidelines set forth by the school and/or my teachers when publishing schoolwork online (e.g. to a website, blog, wiki, discussion board, podcasting or video server).
- I understand that it is unsafe to post any personal information about myself, including but not limited to my name, address, phone number or school.
- I will not post photos or videos of students with their first and last names on any online site, including but not limited to blogs, wikis and discussions forums.
Parent or Guardian
As the parent or guardian, I have read this Good Digital Citizenship Agreement and I have discussed it with my child.
- I understand that computer access, other devices and technology are provided for educational purposes in keeping with the academic goals of the school, and that student use for any other purpose is inappropriate.
- I recognize it is impossible for Hudson School’s to restrict access to all inappropriate materials, and I will not hold the school responsible for materials acquired on the school network.
- I understand that children’s computer activities should be supervised as they can affect the academic environment at school.